Thursday, June 18, 2020

String


mosquitos swarm over the rock crevices and pine
and maple woods,  we walk, I swat away

tears of despair  as I run through possibilities
again,    how do I live this life of privileged

anguish,   I stumble on the roots catching
myself in the midst of a fall, in the midst of another

bite into maybe,  what is this life of no touch,
of no hugs outside the household,  I swing my

walking sticks in the air, dissipating  the
latest attack,  watching my footing as I  move

forward to read another story online to a child afraid
to play  with his cousin,  he has learned distance

protects,  he  likes that we are
connected by an invisible string and that I

notice he is growing into a big kid,  my teeth,
bring laughter to his eyes across the screen,  I

repress another flood of tears,  I know I cannot
go to him, not now,  giggling  together about my baby nose

stretching the invisible sting of connection
from my heart to his
and back again.



gloria fern june 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment