Monday, June 8, 2020

June 8 2020

Black Lives Matter they chant in front of city hall,
as they march down the sidewalk, the street,
we listen to stories of violence, abuse
hope lives as we chant, as we march,
as I read signs that say, I am not a danger,
and Be the Change and Black Lives Matter

I grieve as I see signs that invite us to say
their names, that list the names, a few of the names,
some of the names, as I over hear a frustrated young
woman explain why Black Lives Matter is
important at this time and why All lives matter
cannot be used,  she used a wedding analogy

My grandson made a sign to take to a rally
in another town,  it said racism is bad,
he does not yet understand systems that
maintain racism, re enforce racism, support
racism,  he looks at me with pride and love
not knowing about his blond haired blue eyed privilege

I see a mother with a sign that says when one mother
 is called, all mothers are called,  and my mother
heart is reminded again that all those names, that
incomplete list of names had a mother, has a mother
who is grieving, who lives with fear in the midst
of grieve because of the colour of her skin

I am a mother,  I am a grandmother
I worry for the grandchildren,
for the children
I know, I love, who do not have
white skin

There was a peaceful  protest today
organized by youth
I am filled with hope and
I am filled despair.

gloria fern June 2020



No comments:

Post a Comment