Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Meanwhile

I have been home for four days now.  
four days of sunshine, yes sunshine in cold,
boots, mitts, coats, hats required, 
no more sitting on rooftops with tea 
and a sunrise,  but   but  the hot tub, white clouds, 
full moon, floating by in the darkening sky
it was cold, yes, it was cool getting there, 
the robe kept me warm, in a way, 
like the shawl before sunrise over the mountain, 
chilly and  well worth the view.

Four days of being home,  quite a change it
is true, different friends saying hi,  different teens
wandering by,  and the language sometimes 
more misunderstood, than the one 
I was learning day after day,  but  but
the sky oh so blue, and the sun shining through
is a sign of the cold, so refreshing, so clean,
my breath can be seen, the haze barely 
present, the ancient sites buried,  reminded again
of the lands I live on, note the ancients here too.

A vacation, a gift, to explore with some others, 
a culture so old,  the land so revered,  museums abound
sacred sites can be found, if I open my eyes, 
back here at home,  Christian Island is there as
I walk by the Bay, but     but    is it closer to me,
or do I just see something changed from before
did we open a door, when we looked at the floors
archeological digs, four civilizations deep,  
who has walked on this land, I call mine.
 Can this be? 

Diego,  Kahlo artists well known,  spoke to me in 
loud voice as I noted the choices they made at a risk,
what dare I see, what hope challenge new 
expressed in their work,  there are artists here too,
they tell truths to me but    but    what do I hear
some challenge my views,   Diego so clear and  
Kahlo inspires,  and connections they grow 
the work it lives on in this country, my home, 
inequity present based on race, health and  wealth,
to name just a few, how does hope live with you? 

I went on vacation, took a five hour flight, less than a 
day and a night, went to Mexico city, spent somedays in 
museums, ate food, walked in parks, took pictures, 
wrote stories, laughed and played with new friends,
went to mountains, and hiked   but     but something
happened to me, my vacation a classroom, filled
with joys  and with challenge, new windows flew open,
warm sunshine  and clouds,  I am reminded of
truths, as I live in the world, others live with me too, 
" Meanwhile the world goes on." 


 
gkn February 2019
 quote from Mary Oliver Wild Geese 

No comments:

Post a Comment