Monday, May 4, 2020

On Privilege

I am calling for help!   I would like to hear from you.    I am feeling lots of different feelings in these days of Covid,   I am sure I am not different from the rest of you in that!!  

I am longing for my dear grandchildren, children and friends,  I am grateful for  Zoom and other technological methods of connection, and quite frankly I am tired of them.    

I am grateful for our beautiful backyard, for the floral labyrinth that we have been creating since we moved into this beautiful home on Georgian Bay.     We may never have been quite as prepared for the planting season as this year.  We have seedlings  ( with seeds nurtured and harvested by our neighbourt) nestled on the porch, along with pansies ( from the local gardening centre) which we were able to purchase and pick up, in a no contact sort of way.

We have been eating, sharing and enjoying sour dough bread,  pancakes, waffles, pizza and todays new adventure naan.  I have just finished baking a coconut cream pie and placing four pie shells in our abundantly filled freezer.    We have yeast, sugar, flour, milk, eggs, fresh salad greens,   Some of those items come, delivered to our door by the local farmers.    I give thanks for the farmers.  

We have a neighbourhood, that gathers from a distance to show support for front line workers every night at 7:30 and then we can stand on the street ( there is little traffic)  and visit or at least yell greeting to check in on the health of one another.   

We live in a small town that has had nine people test positive for Covid 19.   Two have been from out of town,  one person from a town near to us has died  as a result of Covid 19.  Two people have been hospitalized and returned home.    We have had no outbreaks in long term care,  please God let this remain so!

I am not afraid.     I  have great privilege,  just by virtue of  my birth place, my skin colour, my ability and my class.     There are many in this town, and this country who do not have my privilege.  

Some do not have backyards, some do not have cars, some do not have access to fresh or even stale food,  some do not have an address.  

I am struggling with the choices that are available to me in my privilege.     I do not need to wear a mask most of the time,  as it is not hard for me to keep a six foot distance when I go out doors.  


I would like to have a conversation with you all,  I would like you to have a conversation with your friends, your neighbours, your family  about what our responsibility is to the world, macro and micro from our places of privilege.     

gloriafern May 2020

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm, Lots to ponder........i have a lot of feelings swirling around that i haven,t put words to......mostly i avoid news....so that i can concentrate on raising my consciousness...or vibration, so that i can beam that out to the whole world.
    I dream or try to envisage and hope that after Covid we will continue to be more loving ,compassionate and caring as is happening in many places now.........i hope everything doesn,t go back to how it was. Since we have become more of a "one world" i hope we continue to think more globally than we did before. I am over the moon excited that the earth is already less polluted.......and since we are part of the earth i wonder .....does that mean we ourselves are less "polluted". And if so...how....is that manifesting in us. I am excited that there is more talk about basic income and security.....as one world we have heard more about what each country is doing about it, how each country looks after it,s people....or doesn,t as the case maybe. I hope that after Covid there will be more love and a resurgence of joy...as we are free of the present necessary restrictions. And perhaps my greatest joy is that i am having a little more time to find my "peace within"
    Blessings dear ones that we are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather for sharing thoughts, I continue to struggle with concrete action and caring for community by our choices. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caring for others while and through caring for ourselves - the more things change, the more they stay the same, I think. COVID shines a bright light on all of that for me, challenges my decisions.....truthfully, I am often uncertain of how to proceed, always have been, but perhaps more so now. I think, mostly, I am choosing to live with the questions, allow the answers to emerge as they can and do, continue to do the best I can, try to behave with love and integrity, to discern what that might mean in each particular moment.... Maybe I could have simply said, in reply, adulting is hard work and I am not always very good at it.... Thanks for inviting comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan, I appreciate your response and the conversation. The Covid light does indeed shine brightly and fills me as you know, with questions and the need to be flexible and open hearted with the answers that surround me. xoxo

      Delete